Saturday, September 4, 2010

Life on the Farm

Did I ever say I liked animals? Well, if I did, I don't anymore! I had this beautiful afternoon and I wanted to just sit beside the pond and listen to the water fall, let the sun warm my back while I take in the beauty of the afternoon on this breath-taking day....My quiet relaxation was interrupted by a scratching dog and a snorting horse swishing her tail and breathing down my neck-----I am ready to leave this peaceful country life and try my luck at a relaxing afternoon on the balcony of a high-rise overlooking the hustle and bustle of a noisy city somewhere far away from horses, cats, dogs, chickens, donkeys and any other animal we have befriended, housed and fed over the past 6 years....so much for an evening of solitude! I think I will just sit within the confines of the fenced in area of the barnyard where the animals can only look at me from afar....now I will pen my thoughts about this wonderful day~~~~~~~
2 weeks ago, my husband and I started our SSS....Slow Sigh Saturdays....we had our second one today. Every other Saturday is great if we can't make it every Saturday. Our SSS begins with no alarm going off at 3:15am and we get up when we wake up...me around 6:00am and he around 7:00am. I sip my morning tea on the screen porch until he gets up and then we make coffee. This morning I had to have a blanket on the porch....love this cool fall like weather...Somewhere around 9:00am, we go into town and have breakfast at Ace Diner then check out the local shops and thrift stores just doing what we want and forgetting about the clock.....
Today has been the most beautiful day with fall in the air, a welcome surprise after the summer heat that has beat down upon us for the last 3 months. Our adventure today took us to Vanleer, Tennessee- a beautiful rural area, even more primitive than our little corner of God's country in Tennessee City. As we drove slowly along the very narrow country road, it seemed we were the only thing moving. Time stood still as the bright sunshine fell across the quiet country homes nestled back under the trees as the bright blue sky peeked in from above.....it was truly breath-taking......we visited a bustling Mennonite store out in the middle of this quaint country setting where folks came from near and far to get home-made breads, sweet pastries, home canned jams and jellies or to lunch on fresh made-to-order sandwiches and hot homemade soup simmering in a crock pot in the eating area that doubles as their worship center.......we continued our slow drive home with our goodies from the store in hand and the memory of this day in our hearts....loving a Slow Sigh Saturday~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment