Sunday, October 10, 2010

Being Thankful and Feeling Blessed


Sometimes after a stressed filled week, the early hours of Saturday morning are spent enjoying a few moments of quiet time in devotion and reflecting on the week. As I started to read my "Journey" devotion this weekend, feelings of stress I had encountered during the hectic work week began to seem so small to the burdens some people carry everyday.....


"What burdens are you bearing today? A sick child, spouse, or parent? A strained relationship with a fellow believer? The loss of a loved one through death or divorce? Ridicule from unsaved family members and friends? The loss of an income? The grief of a prodigal child? A Chronic or terminal illness? The pains of growing older? The daily challenges of meeting everyone's needs or demands"?


As I read down this list, answering no to each one unless you count the one about growing older-no pain, just growing older, I realized how blessed I am! What have I got to complain about....really...I have a job, I have my health, I have healthy children and grandchildren, I have a peaceful home, I know where my children are, my parents are with the Lord......


This week I will not stress out.....I will be thankful for the problems I encounter, it gives me a chance to help someone-I will be thankful that each morning I can get out of bed, some people can't- I will be thankful for my drive to work because I have a car, some people don't- I will be thankful at the end of each day that I have a peaceful place to come home to, some people don't and I will be thankful I have a paycheck on payday, some people don't.


First Peter 4:12 tells us not to be surprised at our perpetual trials. It has been proven time and time again that our faith grows, our trust deepens and our character is fortified in times of suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment